WELCOME BACK from your THANKSGIVING holiday; I hope you had a relaxing break!
If you missed class on Monday, we completed the following:
1. You were introduced to a new assignment entitled "Hell, Fire, and Damnation." Please see the explanation for it located below. Your sermon is due on Friday, November 30th.
2. You were introduced to the characters associated with Act 2.
3. You were introduced to the vocabulary words associated with Act 2.
4. Students completed the traits regarding the "tragic hero."
5. We started reading ACT 2.
Hell, Fire, and Damnation….
Now that you have a greater concept of the Puritan’s strict code, and Rev. Parris’ verbal abuse toward his congregation (hell, hell, and more hell), it is time for you to write your own “Hell, Fire, and Damnation” sermon. You may choose to have your sermon follow a 1692 Puritan theme, or it may follow a 21st century theme where you discuss aspects of your modern culture which you, as the preacher, feel will bring mankind closer to hell. Below, you will find two examples of past sermons. The first one is more of a modern day version, and the second follows the Puritan code. When I’ve given this assignment in the past, some of my students have chosen to mock aspects in our society that they believe would bring individuals closer to “Hell.” If you want to make fun of something go ahead and do so
The gapes of hell are beckoning you, for you have sinned and the wrath of God echoes through the halls of Timpanogos High School. He will seek to destroy you if do not change your licentious and carnal ways. Cursed be your name, as you have afflicted a public display of affection upon the innocent. The naïve eyes of the innocent victims see you touch, kiss and caress in the halls, thus causing God to boil with rage. Learn self-control, young sinners, or the Fiend will continue to taunt and tease you with lustful ways. Your evil thoughts must be removed. It is not wise to know your fellow classmates as you do. Gather the strength in yourself and reach out to heaven. If you do not then God will cut off your hand if you reach for your “lover” in the halls again, and force you to take an endless ice cold shower. You must control your desires. This is your crucible, your test, to prove to God that you can overcome such a weakness. Search for the light of God. If not, Lucifer will drag you down to his fiery chaotic realm, where you will have a “red light” placed above your head forever.
The pit is prepared, the fire is made ready, the furnace is now hot and ready to receive them who have altered from the path of the Lord. The flames of hell now rage and glow with excitement, as they await the unjust. You have the power to be forgiven and repent. Christ has thrown the door of mercy wide open, and stands at the door calling and crying with a loud voice to poor sinners; a say where many are flocking to him, and pressing into the kingdom of God. Many are daily coming from the east, west, north, and south; many that were very lately in the same miserable condition that you are in, are now in a happy state, with their hearts filled with love to him who has loved them, and washed them from their sins in his own blood, and rejoicing in hope of the glory of God. How awful is it to be left behind at such a day! To see so many others feasting, while you are perishing. If you do not come unto him, God will hold you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider, or some loathsome insect if the fire. Therefore, let everyone that is of Christ, awake and fly toward the redeemer before the fires of Hell burn your soul.
1.Your sermon must be TYPED, DOUBLE SPACED, using 12 POINT.
2. Your sermon should be at least ¾ in length.
3. Please structure your paper using MLA format.
4. You may use PASSIVE voice for this assignment as it is not an academic essay.
5. You must include one connection to The Crucible. Please identify the connection with italicized/bold type.
6. You must include a minimum of five vocabulary words from ACT 1 in your “sermon.” Please identify the vocabulary words through underlined/bold type.
1. Your "Hell, Fire and Damnation" sermon is due on Wednesday!
2. AW #2 for The Crucible is due on Tuesday, December 4th.