Monday, January 9, 2012

Monday, January 9th, 2012

Dear Juniors,
If you missed class today, we completed the following:
1. We performed the remaining section of ACT 3. Well done to those of you that performed! You did well in sharing your talents with us.

HOMEWORK:
1. Remember that your Journals are due on Wednesday!
2. Please complete study guide questions for Act 3.
3. Plan on a quiz covering Act 3; please note the practice quiz included for you below.
4. Don't forget that your DESK TOP teaching assignment is due on Friday. Please let me know if you need any assistance with your word.

Cheers,
Mrs. Crampton

PRACTICE QUIZ

There are three parts to your quiz. Part 1 concerns "cause" and "effect" questions. Part 2 relates to Dramatic and Situational Irony found within act 3. I would consider events within act 3, and locate an example of Dramatic and Situation Irony found within the text. In addition, consider the "Integrity theme" and an example that illustrates the theme within act 3. The final section of your quiz involves identifying who is being referred to within certain quotes. 
 
Please discuss the effect to the follow choices. Please include ALL the characters associated with the "end results" for each cause action.
1. Because Proctor did not "remember" the seventh commandment, then .......
2. Because Mary Warren gave Elizabeth Proctor a poppet, then.......
3.Because Giles Corey said his wife was reading strange books, then.....
4.If Mary Warren had not lied against John Proctor, then......

Identify the speaker for each quote and the theme that correlates to it. Explain why your selected theme is the most logical choice. WHO IS SPEAKING?
5. "I can not give you his name. I mentioned my wife's name once, and I will burn in hell long enough for that. I stand mute."
6. "No corrupted man may fear this court, sir You are under arrest for contempt of this court. Now sir, sit you down or you will be set in the jail until you decide to answer all questions."
7. "I have been hurt, Mr Danforth. I have seen the blood runn'in out! I done my duty pointing out the Devil's people and this is my reward? To be mistrusted, denied and questioned like a--"
8. "I came to think that he fancied her, so I lost my wits and threw her out on the highroad."
9. "I hear the boot of Lucifer. I see his face! And it is my face, and yours. God damns our kind especially, and we will burn together."
10. "You are the devil's man.. I go your way no more. I am with God now. I am with God."

I look forward to seeing you on Wednesday!
Cheers,
Crampton